Sunday, January 11, 2009

Thank god it happened in USA...

Needless to say, my experience with new york's transport system has been much better than with mumbai's transport sytem. But still there are some situations where you find trouble.

So, i go to buy this unlimited metrocard for $81 from the metrocard vending machine and the machine sucks up 4 of my $20 bills and throws out the last $1 bill. I try to insert another bill but it doesnt accept, it gets stuck, doesnt return my money and doesnt give me a metrocard either. It just spits out a receipt that the transaction failed and it is unable to return the money. So, i go to the booth and they say that i will have to mail the receipt to the MTA guys and they will send my money back after 30 days. Ufffff!!

I came out of the subway station, pissed off about the whole situation, that my money is gonna be stuck for a month...then my colleagues at work told me that they do give the money back in such cases because it was the machine's problem.

Fortunately, i got my money back in less than 30 days. They sent me a cheque of $80.
I was wondering what if i had faced a similar problem in India :)
I guess this happens only in this country....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well i certainly dont agree with your headline "Thank god it happened in USA". I had the same experience in mumbai when i went to purchase a local train card. I hope you know about it. It is a magnetic card and you can swipe this at a particular station. I swipped at station A and when i got down at station B the machine was not working. I felt like i lost my 15 bucks. I called the agencies and they took the complaint and they were so polite to return the money back.

India has changed and is not that BAD.

Take care